Thursday, December 31, 2009

Nora Makes Her Entrance 11/16/08






Well my water didn't break all over any one's floor or upholstery, but...my sock got a little wet. I woke up around 8:30AM, noticed signs of water breaking, called Chad, notified my folks, called my doctor, and was told to go to the hospital. It took me a good 20 hours to bring Thomas into this world, so I figured we had some time, as contractions were just starting. Chad was scheduled to fly in around 3PM. My mom rushed home from school, Chad rushed on his plane, and my dad took the bumpy scenic route to the hospital-ha, ha to the woman in labor. We arrived at the hospital between 10:30 and 11AM. I was starting to feel contractions every 5-10 minutes by the time we arrived, but they weren't strong enough to make me pause. It took about an hour for me to be admitted and I was dilated about 4cm when checked in the triage. I was moved to a delivery room where Thomas and my dad could join my mother and I. Thomas started to fuss, and contractions started to make me uncomfortable and I was worried about my Dad & Thomas having a hard day separated from us. My dad reassured me as they left and a nurse came in to ask me about my drug preferences, I told her no epidural & she started trying to put an IV in my arm. The whole time Chad was in air travel hell, delays, cancellations, and calling me to update with an arrival time in the evening. The contractions started coming faster, and the nurse blew 2 veins over the next 30 min or so. I began to sweat & breathe hard & couldn't tell whether it was due to the increasing intensity of the contractions, Chad's travel trouble, or the mauling of my arm veins. The nurse gave up on the IV & went to find someone else to do it. I told my poor mom I didn't think I could do this even though she was doing everything she could to make me comfortable, but all I could think was that I had 18 more hours of intense labor. The nurse came back, saw my pain & asked, "Do you want that epidural?" I wanted whatever would make the next 18 hours of anticipated labor fly by, but luckily the other staff knew better and while an IV was skillfully inserted-for no real reason as we would soon find out-Mom fed me ice, and I felt like I needed to push. That feeling never occurred while in labor with Thomas so I was still convinced that there were quite a few hours of pushing & hard labor to go, newsflash to me...NORA WAS READY, and very supportive of natural childbirth! I was hyperventilating and everything else is a blur, all of a sudden I was pushing, wondering if the baby was really coming out, my OB was instructing me to stop yelling and push & so I did & Nora was born. Three hours of labor-from the time contractions started-to delivery, all natural. Nora Amelie Holliday made her entrance Friday weighing in at 7Lbs 13 Oz, 20" long at 1:47PM. Welcome baby, if we're all speechless, just chalk it up to your beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment