Thursday, December 31, 2009

How to Get a Top Notch Hospital Tour 10/17/08

Well I'm looking at the last 6 weeks or so of being pregnant, and what does that mean? Lists. I'm making lists of things I have yet to do, need to beg, borrow, or steal, projects (ahem, translate piles of clutter) to attend to, people I must write or call, Halloween events to take Thomas to (since this holiday was non-existant where we lived last year & now he's revelling the ability to celebrate a holiday that = scary cool things + people giving him candy), oh and a list of names, etc. So on one of my lists I did everything except the first line, call the hospital I will be delivering at and schedule a tour. I'm nervous about delivery in a hospital after a home-birth and my feelings go between omigod this baby is going to be here in 6 weeks and omigod I can't believe I still have six more HUGE weeks to be HUGE before this baby is born. So calling the hospital would make this all a bit more real, like the huge belly and protruding baby kicks aren't enough. But there was good reason for my procrastination, since an A-1 tour was in the works for me.

We started out at Batsto, Thomas and a friend on tricycles, us moms slowly helping them navigate the big wheels back into riding terrain from time to time and stopping for snack breaks at every bench. Then they found the lake and rocks. I found a bench. Unfortunately Thomas found the rocks and shallow water to be old news and headed for the unfenced bank near the deep water. "What mom? Come back from there, are you kidding? That deep water is dark & still & smelly & I want to lean over and put things in it. Now, you say? Huh uh, nope not me. I'm not even going to acknowledge you are speaking to me. " I started to get up to leap after Thomas with all my huge pregnant grace, and the huge tree shading our bench sprouted two roots and took me down. Completely down. I knew there was no chance of catching myself and somehow twisted my body in a way that my face & belly did not smash into the dirt. Instead I landed completely flat out on my side, crushed the cell phone in my pocket, and will probably have a bum hip later in life. My palm and elbow filled with dirt, but I was okay because I didn't go down on my stomach, the baby was resting in the other side of my body and didn't seem phased. My ego was majorly bruised. I managed to collect Thomas from the deep shore of the lake & we continued on our adventure. However I was rattled, or my whole body was, and that concerned me enough to call my OB when we got home. He told me to go to Labor and Delivery immediately. Thus we got a trial run.

I was admitted and monitored by lovely nurses and tested by some really upbeat residents and released after 4 hours of monitoring and tests. The baby and I turned out to be fine, although I was experiencing contractions I didn't feel & am dilated 1cm. The facility was comfortable & I'm so happy I'll be going there to deliver. One of the best parts was a diagram on the wall with 8 circles all increasing in size, from 2 to 9cm. The 9 cm circle had a smiley face on it, with hair. Talk about your positive reinforcement. Hopefully I'll just keep sailing along with contractions I don't feel until 9cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment